waiting adj : being and remaining ready and available for use; "waiting cars and limousines lined the curb"; "found her mother waiting for them"; "an impressive array of food ready and waiting for the guests"; "military forces ready and waiting" [syn: ready and waiting(p)] n : the act of waiting (remaining inactive in one place while expecting something); "the wait was an ordeal for him" [syn: wait]
- present participle of wait
- ca. 1393: William
Plowman, (C), iii. 94.
- Al the lordshep of lecherye in lengthe and in brede,As in workes and in wordes and waitynges of eyes.
- 1871-72: George
Eliot, Middlemarch, xxxvi.
- Green glasses for hock, and excellent waiting at table.
- 1874: John Fiske,
Outlines of Cosmic Philosophy, I. 122.
- In all ages, men have fought over words, without waiting to know what the words really signified.
- 1876: Richard
Watson Gilder, The New Day, A Poem in Songs and Sonnets
- There was an awful waiting in the earth,As if a mystery greatened to its birth.
Watching, hence, an ogling
he act of staying or remaining in expectation
- Dutch: bedienen
Waiting may refer to:
- Waiting (Fun Boy Three album)
- Waiting (Thursday album)
- Waiting... (EP), an EP by The Rockfords
- "Waiting" (Green Day song)
- "Waiting" (Miz song)
- "Waiting" (Porcupine Tree song)
- Waiting (KLF film), a video by The KLF
- "Waiting", a song by Joy and the Boy from Paradise
- "Waiting", a song by Madonna from Erotica
- "Waiting", a song by Smashing Pumpkins from Untitled Machina Promo
- "Waiting", a song by Trapt from Someone in Control
In other uses:
- Waiting (novel), a novel by Ha Jin
- Waiting..., a 2005 American film starring Ryan Reynolds
- Waiting (1991 film), a film for which Fiona Press received the Australian Film Institute Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role
- Waiting (2009 film), a forthcoming film based on Ha Jin's novel, starring Takeshi Kaneshiro
- "Waiting" (SpongeBob SquarePants episode)
about to be, agape, agog, all agog, already in sight, anticipant, anticipating, anticipative, anticipatory, anxiety, apprehension, approaching, at hand, attendant, attending, awaiting, brewing, certain, cliff-hanging, close, close at hand, coming, confident, dalliance, dallying, dawdling, dillydallying, dread, eager, expectant, expectant waiting, expecting, forearmed, forestalling, forewarned, forthcoming, future, gaping, gathering, going to happen, helping, hopeful, immediate, imminent, impendent, impending, in anticipation, in danger imminent, in expectation, in prospect, in reserve, in store, in the cards, in the offing, in the wind, in view, instant, lingering, looking for, looking forward to, looming, lowering, lurking, menacing, menial, ministering, near, near at hand, nearing, not surprised, on the horizon, optimistic, overhanging, pessimism, prepared, preparing, ready, sanguine, servile, serving, servitorial, sure, suspense, tarriance, tarrying, that will be, threatening, to come, uncertainty, unsurprised, upcoming, waiting for, watching for